A Cajun classic! This seafood gumbo is loaded with gulf shrimp and tender crab meat, perfectly paired with fluffy Cajun Country Rice and toasted French bread.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 2 large stalks celery, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 stalks green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 12 oz. bag frozen okra or 3/4 lb. fresh okra, sliced
- 1 lb crab meat, claw or lump
- 2 lbs. raw, peeled shrimp
- 4-6 gumbo crabs, optional
- 8-10 cups seafood stock or low sodium or chicken stock, room temperature
- Salt, black pepper, garlic powder & cayenne pepper, to taste
- Green onions, parsley & filé, for garnish
- Cajun Country Long Grain Rice*
- Add oil to heavy bottom pot and heat to medium-high. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly. Mixture will bubble for a minute, then become a smooth consistency. Continue stirring with a whisk or wooden spoon until roux starts to darken to a caramel color. Lower heat to medium and continue stirring consistently until roux reaches desired color. *Note: it can take anywhere from 20-45 minutes for roux to reach a milk chocolate color.
- Add onion, bell pepper, & celery, to stop roux from darkening further. Sauté for 5 minutes, add garlic and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder & cayenne pepper.
- Continue stirring while slowly adding the broth. *Note: slowly adding room temperature broth will keep the roux from breaking.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium for about 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add okra, green onions, crab, and shrimp. Continue cooking for another 15 minutes, or until shrimp are pink, then remove from heat. Skim any excess oil from the top and add additional seasoning to taste.
- Serve hot over Cajun Country rice and top with green onions & parsley. Pairs perfectly with hot, toasted French bread and your favorite potato salad!
Time Saver Tip: You can skip the scratch-made roux and use your favorite store-bought version! *Rice grain can be swapped depending on personal preference. Try out your next bowl with Cajun Country Medium Grain, Jasmine or Popcorn rice!