Perfect for winter evenings or New Year’s Day, this comfort food classic is sure to impress even the pickiest of eaters!
Servings 6 people
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 lb ground pork (or turkey)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 small onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning to taste
- 1 cup Cajun Country Rice, uncooked
- 1 egg
- ½ and 1/3 cup tomato sauce, divided
- 1 can tomato soup
- Boil cabbage leaves about 2 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 9” x 13” with non-stick spray.
- CookCajun Country Rice according to package directions but reduce cooking time by 5 minutes so the rice is slightly underdone. Set aside.
- Cook beef, pork (or turkey), onions, garlic and seasonings until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add in rice, diced tomatoes, 1/3 cup of tomato sauce, additional salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning as needed.
- Stir in egg.
- Mix remaining tomato sauce and tomato soup in a bowl.
- Spread a very thin layer of the tomato sauce mixture in the prepared pan.
- Remove or thin out any thick stems on cabbage leaves.
- Lay a cabbage leaf flat and add 1/3 cup filling to the center of the leaf. Fold in the sides and roll the cabbage up.
- Place seam-side down in the pan. Repeat with remaining cabbage leaves.
- Pour remaining sauce over the cabbage rolls and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake 75-90 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.