Cheesy Brown Rice Broccoli Bake
Comfort food meets health food with this easy, cheesy casserole! Tender broccoli and hearty brown rice pair perfectly with creamy cheddar cheese in this satisfying broccoli bake.
- 6 cups fresh broccoli, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 cups Cajun Country Long Grain Brown Rice
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk, 2% or whole
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch broccoli for 2 minutes, then transfer to an ice bath to stop cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté onion and butter in a saucepan on medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Whisk in flour, cooking for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in milk, continuing to whisk until sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Remove heat and add salt, garlic powder, mustard powder, paprika and pepper. Add 1 cup of cheese, stirring until melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, cooked rice, and cheese sauce. Add any additional seasonings to taste.
- Spread in a 2 qt. greased casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly brown. Cool slightly before serving.
Time Saving Tip – You can skip the first step by swapping out fresh broccoli for an equal amount of frozen broccoli florets that have been thawed ahead of time!