Comfort food meets health food with this easy, cheesy casserole! Tender broccoli and hearty brown rice pair perfectly with creamy cheddar cheese in this satisfying broccoli bake.
- 6 cups fresh broccoli, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 cups Cajun Country Brown Rice
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk, 2% or whole
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch broccoli for 2 minutes, then transfer to an ice bath to stop cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté onion and butter in a saucepan on medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Whisk in flour, cooking for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in milk, continuing to whisk until sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Remove heat and add salt, garlic powder, mustard powder, paprika and pepper. Add 1 cup of cheese, stirring until melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, cooked rice, and cheese sauce. Add any additional seasonings to taste.
- Spread in a 2 qt. greased casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly brown. Cool slightly before serving.
Time Saving Tip – You can skip the first step by swapping out fresh broccoli for an equal amount of frozen broccoli florets that have been thawed ahead of time!