Our Golden Nuggets are perfect for game day! Whether the game is going their way or not, all of your guests will have a great time gobbling up these rice and sausage balls fried to a golden crisp. They will love the warm mozzarella oozing out of the center. Don’t forget to make our homemade marinara for dipping!
- 2 cups Cajun Country Medium Grain Rice, cooked stickier than normal (1 cup rice, 2.5 cup water, 1 tsp. salt)
- .5 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- .5 lb ground breakfast sausage, browned and drained
- 2 mozzarella string cheese sticks, cubed into 18 pieces
- 2 eggs, whisked in bowl for coating
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs in bowl for coating
- vegetable oil for frying
- marinara for dipping (recipe to follow)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small cans Contadina tomato paste
- 1 can stewed tomatoes, diced
- .5 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tbsp finely chopped celery
- 1 tbsp finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- .25 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 whole bay leaves
- .5 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp creole seasoning
- 2 cups water
- Prepare deep fryer with vegetable oil according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Preheat oil to 375 degrees.
- Mix rice, shredded cheese and sausage in large bowl.
- Form into golf ball-sized nuggets with a mozzarella cube in the center.
- Roll each ball in egg and then breadcrumbs to coat.
- Drop in fryer for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with marinara for dipping.
- In large pot, heat olive oil to medium high and stir in tomato paste and diced tomatoes.
- Heat and stir until velvety smooth.
- Add each of the next ingredients (except the water), one at a time, and stir well between each addition.
- Slowly stir in the water.Cover and reduce heat to simmer for one hour.
- Makes about 6 cups of marinara.