For nearly 200 years, Red Beans & Rice has been a dish held dear in the hearts of Louisianans. And with today’s hectic schedules and tighter budgets, it’s more relevant —and practical— than ever. This iconic dish, known as Monday’s favorite meal, deserves to be on your family’s weekly menu!
- 3 cups Cajun Country Rice, Any Variety
- 1 lb dry Louisiana red beans
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2-3 cups water, depending on how thick you prefer
- 1 lg white onion, chopped
- 1 lb slicked smoked sausage, slightly browned then drained
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- Soak beans overnight and rinse the next morning.
- Put them in a large pot; add chicken broth and water.
- Add onion and sausage.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 2-4 hours to desired consistency.
- Add seasoning to taste.
- Serve over any variety of steaming Cajun Country® Rice.