We recommend pairing red kidney beans from Camellia Brand with your favorite type of Cajun Country Rice for this delicious, crowd-pleasing classic.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb red kidney beans
- 1 package smoked mixed sausage (3 links), sliced
- 2 cups Cajun Country Rice (Medium or Long Grain), cooked according to package
- salt, to taste
- all seasoning, to taste
- 4 tbsp chili powder, divided
- 1 lb ground beef
- Soak red beans in water overnight.
- When ready to cook, drain red beans and put into pot and cover with water about 1” over beans on high heat. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.
- Brown ground beef with chopped onion and bell pepper.
- Once ground beef is browned, add 1 tbsp of chili powder and salt to taste.
- After the 10 minutes of boiling the red beans, drain the beans, add more water to cover the beans about 1” over and put back on medium high heat. Then stir regularly, cooking for about an hour until tender.
- Smash some of the beans to thicken the mixture, then add the ground beef and sausage.
- Add 3 tbsp of chili powder, all seasoning, and salt to taste. Continue to cook on medium for another 15 minutes, adding water to your desired thickness.
- Serve over Cajun Country Rice.