The iconic duo, shrimp and rice, are together once again for this authentic Cajun crowd pleaser.
- 1 cup prepared dark roux
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups hot water (used in beginning)
- 1/2-1 cup hot water (if needed at the end)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- Cajun seasoning to taste
- 4 cups Cajun Country Rice, cooked
- Combine the dark roux and the 3 cups of water. Cook on high heat until roux is dissolved and it comes to a rolling boil — be sure to continue to stir so it doesn’t stick.
- Add onions, bell peppers and garlic. Cook until vegetables are clear.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in shrimp, green onions, parsley and seasoning to taste. Cook on high for 5 minutes.
- If too thick, add ½ – 1 cup of water for the right consistency.
- Serve over Cajun Country Rice.