Smothered Cabbage with Tasso
Bring on the good fortune in the New Year! Get your fill of greens with this hearty smothered cabbage and flavorful tasso, served steaming hot over Cajun Country Rice.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 pound turkey or pork tasso roughly chopped
- 1 large head green cabbage cored and roughly chopped
- salt, pepper, & cayenne to taste
- 2-4 tbsp. water or broth
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, sautéing about 3-5 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- Add tasso and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, or until tasso is lightly browned.
- Stir in cabbage in batches. Add water or broth, cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper, & cayenne to taste. Lower heat, cover and simmer another 20 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Serve steaming hot over Cajun Country Rice!
Look for Savoie’s brand turkey (or pork) tasso. It’s a flavorful cured meat that will add the perfect flavor to whatever it’s added to.