Bring on the good fortune in the New Year! Get your fill of greens with this hearty smothered cabbage and flavorful tasso, served steaming hot over Cajun Country Rice.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 pound turkey or pork tasso roughly chopped
- 1 large head green cabbage cored and roughly chopped
- salt, pepper, & cayenne to taste
- 2-4 tbsp. water or broth
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, sautéing about 3-5 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- Add tasso and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, or until tasso is lightly browned.
- Stir in cabbage in batches. Add water or broth, cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper, & cayenne to taste. Lower heat, cover and simmer another 20 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Serve steaming hot over Cajun Country Rice!
Look for Savoie’s brand turkey (or pork) tasso. It’s a flavorful cured meat that will add the perfect flavor to whatever it’s added to.